Adopt A Pet
Louisville Metro Animal Services is committed to saving more shelters lives by making every effort to find homes for our adoptable pets by offering free and donation-based adoption programs. When you adopt from LMAS, you will be rescuing a homeless pet from your community.
LMAS adoptions are also far less expensive than going to a breeder or another animal organization because every adoptable pet is already spayed or neutered, microchipped and vaccinated. Choose from the largest selection of adoptable pets in the region with free adoptions for select pets through one of our ongoing adoption campaigns.
Potential adopters can meet adoptable pets at Animal House Adoption Center and the LMAS Shelter, or visit one of our satellite locations: PetSmart (Outer Loop) and Lucky Cat Cafe' & Lounge. LMAS also offers pet adoptions at community events throughout the year.
Pay It Forward Free Adoptions Program This is donation-based program funded by the non-profit Friends of Metro Animal Services which raises money in support of LMAS; and public donations. The PIF program makes it possible for LMAS to waive adoption fees for certain shelter pets and never expires.
It's always free to adopt adult cats and adult dogs, 40 lbs. or more for approved adopters. For more info about the Pay It Forward Free Adoption Program, click here. There is a required minimum donation of $150 to adopt a dog weighing less than 40 lbs., small breeds and puppies.
Long-Stay Champions VIP Program The Long-Stay Champions VIP Program was launched in 2018 to promote certain adoptable dogs that have been in the shelter 60 days or longer. Adoption fees are waived for Long-Stay Champions, and adopters will receive a free VIP package worth more than $500 in savings! The VIP package includes: Wellness Checks & vaccinations for 3 years, Canine License (3-year), leash, harness, collar, large crate, 7-days of free daycare and a chance to win $500. Get more information about the Long-Stay Champions Program and view our Current Champions in need of homes, click here.
Reduced Donation Adoptions: LMAS may reduce the required minimum donation for certain adoptable pets based on a number of factors which could include age, health and special needs.
What you need to know about LMAS pet adoptions:
- Adoption fees are waived for certain pets but there is still an application review process, and you must be approved before you can adopt from LMAS.
- Please bring a valid Drivers License
- Every adoption includes spay/neuter, microchip and vaccinations.
- Jefferson County residents must purchase a pet license which is a requirement of a Louisville ordinance and must be renewed yearly or every three years. Get more information about licensing your pet.
- You do not have to reside in Jefferson county to adopt from LMAS and Animal House Adoption Center
- Meet & greets are required for families with children. Cat and dog testing is available by request (Please, leave your pet in the car or outside of Animal House Adoption Center with supervision until it is time for the meet & greet with one of our adoptable pets).
- Potential Adopters can meet adoptable pets until close of business, however the adoption approval process ends 30-minutes prior to close of business
Pet ownership comes with a lot of responsibility, and it is a long-term commitment. If you are considering welcoming a shelter pet into your home, follow these steps:
Make sure you're ready for a pet. Get smart pet advice first.
Browse our adoptable pets below ↓ or Visit our Animal House Adoption Center